NIWAP Newsletter • VAWA Confidentiality • January 2015
The National Immigrant Women’s Advocacy Project (NIWAP, pronounced new-app) is pleased to announce a series of newsletters specialized by topic that we are developing in our capacity as national technical assistance providers under our Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice, grant.*
This newsletter, the first in our series, is devoted to the special federal VAWA confidentiality protections designed to help protect immigrant victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking and other crimes. This newsletter will provide you with up to date information about: VAWA confidentiality law, its protections against deportation, reliance on perpetrator provider information, limitations on immigration enforcement, and protections against disclosure of even the existence of the VAWA confidentiality protected case, with very limited exceptions. Throughout this and each of our future newsletters you will find links to: statutes, government policies and regulations, legislative history, training manuals, materials, and toolkits and other relevant information to better assist you in your work with immigrant crime victims.
Please share this newsletter with others in your community and in the field who encounter immigrant survivors in their work including those who may be interested in subscribing to our newsletter. Please contact NIWAP (firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-247-4457) with any questions on VAWA Confidentiality. More information regarding VAWA confidentiality is also available in the NIWAP web library.
Thank you for your service to the community. We look forward to working in partnership with your organization.
* This project was supported by Grant No. 2013-TA-AX-K009 awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, conclusions and recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women.
- Webinar: “VAWA Confidentiality: Understanding the Three Safeguards and Discovery Limitations that Apply in Cases of Immigrant Survivors in Family and Criminal State Courts.”
- Violence Against Women Act’s (VAWA) Special Immigration VAWA Confidentiality Protections for Immigrant Survivors
- Types of Immigrants Eligible for VAWA Confidentiality Disclosure Limitations
- Who can benefit from VAWA Confidentiality Protection?
- VAWA Confidentiality Protections for Eligible Immigrants
- Examples of Violations
- Exceptions to VAWA Confidentiality
- Penalties for Violating VAWA Confidentiality
- Reporting Violations to DHS
- How to Prepare to address VAWA Confidentiality in State Courts
- DHS Memos Implementing VAWA Confidentiality Protections:
- Additional Materials on VAWA Confidentiality:
- About NIWAP